Re: AW: Bonjour - WAY WAY OT!

On February 20, 2004 02:05, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 12:35:59PM -0800, Nano Nano wrote:
> > I swear to Christ, when I was in France, I said to myself: PLEASE
> > GOD PLEASE get me back to my land of 500 channels of pablum, my
> > 24-hour Walmart, my drivethroughs, my land of fakeness and
> > commercials and wackiness, because I can't stand this 3rd-world
> > country any more!
>
> Reminds me of a self-deprecating joke I heard in Canada once.
> "Canada could have been good.  It could have had British culture,
> French cuisine and American technology.  Instead, it got American
> culture, British cuisine and French technology."

That's not quite right, or at least not the one I grew up with. The one
I knew of was: "Canada could have had American entrepreneurialism,
British Government and French culture" (apparently this was back when
French culture was something people actually wanted, but I guess that
would include cuisine). "Instead, it got British entrepreneurialism
(this has to be a joke from the 70s...), French government and American
culture".

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations