Re: Newbish Q: Why modprobe.d *and* modutils?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:01:55PM -0500, Adam Aube wrote:
| On 18 Feb 2004 at 16:41:36, CW Harris wrote:
|
| > does 2.6 require both?  I currently have kept both since I
| > have a 2.4 kernel for a rescue boot, but I was planning to
| > remove it eventually.
|
| With 2.6, update-modules uses /etc/modutils/* to form
| /lib/modules/modprobe.conf, which is included in
| /etc/modprobe.conf.

Are you sure?  I think, though I could be wrong, that the 2.6
update-modules uses /etc/modprobe.d/*, not /etc/modutiles.  I thought
/etc/modutils is only for 2.4 (and earlier) kernels.  A fairly quick
look through the /sbin/update-modules script doesn't indicate any
usage of /etc/modutils/*.

(however, that script does run the kernel 2.4/modutils update-modules
script if it is present so that one command keeps both module config
files up-to-date)

At any rate, for kernel 2.6 the only file you (generally) need to edit
is /etc/modprobe.conf.

-D

--
Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved
person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.