Re: data recovery / ext3 partition

* ville virtanen (vvirtanen@luukku.com) [040206 09:06]:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to install Windows ME to a hard drive with an existing Debian
> system. During the install the system insisted on formatting drive
> "C", and since I had created an extra primary partition marked
> bootable to be "C" under Linux I figured why not. After reaching 100%
> the install said formatting failed and quit.
>
> Fine, so I try to boot back to Linux but get the "No operating system"
> instead. Booting to Knoppix I found the partition table totally
> screwed up. I managed to get back /home and /usr partitions using
> gpart, but it seems the / partition has been partly overwritten.

I've read that it's a good idea to create partitions using the fdisk
from the OS you plan on installing there.  I would guess that any fdisk
should be able to do the same thing, writing the partition table in a
sane way, but I also suppose that in practice, maybe you're seeing
evidence of the difference between "should" and "is".  Perhaps next
time, you might be better off creating a windows partition with windows'
fdisk.  I don't have direct experience with it (thankfully, I don't
remember the last time I created a partition for a windows
installation), but I thought I'd pass along the advice, FWIW.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/