Re: Linux Compatibility Issue

Hello Abdul,

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:49:25 -0500 (EST)
Abdul Latip <dullatip@angin.com> wrote:

<Snip>

> > "What are you really trying to do?"
>
> Thank you for the question! My intention is to understand
> myself what the problem is, so that I can answer questions
> from the users.
>
> Qouted from a "README.linux" file:
>   [...] Linux is the most self incompatible OS I know.
>   [...] Libc.so.6 is definitely a big problem in binary compatibility.
>   [...] The dynamic linker on Linux does not work correctly.

This is a most unusual README file.
Have you a pointer for this?

> Debian specific question:
>   If backports exist/ is possible; than why is not a new version of
>   package be compiled with older libs/dependencies version?

Generally it is not long before the required dependencies are upgraded
to suit the new package. I have a similar situation with efax-gtk at the
moment. In a few days, the situation will be rectified.

When you have a number of personalities working on different aspects of
the same situation, and some have more time, or a simpler process to
implement than others to achieve their particular end result, a
coordinated, block release is not always possible.
At least, this is my understanding of the situation.
Regards,

David.