Re: recommended reading?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:44:03 +1100, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 07:16:54AM +0100, Thorsten Haude said
>> * s. keeling wrote (2004-02-09 06:44):
>> >Just because it doesn't mention kde 3.x doesn't mean it's obsolete.
>>
>> The book is 20 years old! There wasn't even an X Window to speak of!
>
> I haven't read the book under discussion, but this seems rather odd.
> How does X enter into systems administration or Unix programming at all,
> aside from the obvious?

You make an excellent point.  I've been working with Unices since before
the book was published, and it's still the first book I pick up if I need
to look up something.  That's probably because I am intimately familiar
with it, but it's also to do with trust and nostalgia, I'm sure.  I feel
as if Brian and Rob are old friends.

BTW, if you haven't read it, flip through it at a library or a bookstore.
You might enjoy it enough to buy a copy.  Like I said elsewhere in this
thread, it's a bit of Unix history.

--

"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
(The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972)