Re: questions around install and upgrade apps on an old debian 1.3.1

Hello

Sony Lloyd (<comorosislands@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> (1) Eventhough I have an old debian, can I pick latest releases of
> apps like vi, emacs and install them right away on my old debian
> system? Or they wont install since my system is too old?

You need packages that were built for your system. In most cases you
cannot install packages from testing or unstable on stable. Go to
<http://www.apt-get.org>. Also take a look at
<http://www.backports.org>.

> (2)Where can I find pico for debian?
> I searched through the http://packages.debian.org/stable/editors/ and
> it's not there. If there's no pico dor debian, what simple text editor
> similar to pico would you recommend.

I think pico belongs to pine (although it seems there are also no
installable pine packes in stable). Nano is a pico clone (at least the
package description says it is, I never used pico). Nano is part of the
base system and probably is already installed.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen