Re: apt cache obese?

Richard Lyons wrote:
Quick question re /var/cache/apt. I couldn't understand why my little thinkpad's hdd got totally full. Now I'm searching around with du and find / var/cache/apt is 1.4GB. Is it always that large, or has mine been eating junk food?

sudo apt-get clean

If you regularly use apt-get (instead of dselect, aptitude, or synaptic)
it stores all the downloaded packages and does not delete them.  The
other front ends either delete them immediately after installation or
prompt you.

HTH,

-Roberto