Re: alternative to plesk and cpanel?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Dave's List Addy wrote:

> On 2/12/04 11:05 AM, "Jaldhar H. Vyas" wrote:
>
> > Please don't use this version.  It is buggy beyond belief.  The 1.130
> > packages from unstable should work fine on woody.
>
> Why not just grab the source from webmin.com and install? Pretty brainless
> installer.

Why not just use slackware then :-)

seriously, there are times and situations were going the source route
makes more sense and others when using .debs makes more sense.  It's a
tradeoff.

pro

* Total control over configuration.
* You can update at your own speed, whenever you are ready.
* Your only choice if there is no .deb available and you don't know how to
  make one.

con

* You need to know how to compile and install it.  Not always simple.
* You need to keep track of dependencies yourself
* You need to integrate it into the whole system yourself.  Debian package
  are often quite enhanced compared to the original source with things
  like registration into the menu system etc.
* You need to keep track of security problems and bugs yourself.  The
  author of webmin has been very good about accepting my patches but in
  other cases the Debian maintainer has to modify the upstream source a
  lot in order to make it work properly.
* You need to spend time on all these things.  Hobbyist types may be
  entranced by gcc output whizzing by but for my old jaded self, the
  thrill is gone.  I need my computers for actual work,

Things like gentoos' portage mitigate the cons somewhat but the tradeoff
is still there.  That's why Debian is mostly binary-based but tries not to
impede you if you want to DIY.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>