Re: Kernel 2.6.2 and X (no core pointer)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:49:00 -0200
Marcio Merlone <mm@surf.com.br> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have just installed a kernel 2.6.2 on my box and cannot make my X
> work. I read /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.2/README.Debian where it
> says:
>
> "PS/2 Mice
> ---------
> If your PS/2 mouse does not work, make sure that the modules psmouse and
> mousedev are loaded."
>
> Well, I got intel-agp, psmouse, mousedev and sermouse loaded but X still
> complains about "no core pointer".
>
> I have a debian woody heavly backported, running X 4.3, kernel 2.6.2
> (X works fine with 2.4.22). Machine is a Dell Optiplex GX 110 with a
> i810 video card and a ps/2 mouse.

I think this may be a 2.6.2-specific issue. On my experimental box
(sid+experimental, latest kernel etc.) I had the ps/2 mouse working fine
with 2.6.0, but on upgrading to 2.6.2 it complained about not finding
/dev/psaux (though it shows up as a character device if I ls -l it). So
far the only fix I've found was to switch to using the mouse in the USB
port.

So if you don't have a USB mouse you might try what happens with 2.6.0
(IIRC backports.org has that as well as 2.6.2).

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering