Re: Info vs Man

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:52:25PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> I see your point ... but ugh.
>
> I'll take a single document that I can search and eyeball-scan over
> multiple linked documents almost always.  Example: the fetchmail man
> page.  Yes, it's farking huge, but I can find what I need by searching
> on a key term.
>
> When I'm looking at the mutt (or any) documentation online, I'd rather
> have the "one big file" approach than the linked approach, too.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I've never felt comfortable with info.  If the
> man pages give me some line about how info is the official documentation
> format, I just head to google.  Info is too much of a pain.

You can get this with info documentation in two ways:
You can either get the html version of the documentation (texinfo
can be converted to html).
Or you can cat all the various info files into one big one:
zcat /usr/share/info/gcc* ./gcc.info
and then you can just search through gcc.info with whatever
text tool you like.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>