Fonts, one more time

There have been a number of postings about fonts over
the last few months. But the discussion seems to me to
miss the point.

If you install Windows, you don't have to know
anything about fonts, really. Text just looks good in
all applications. You become aware that different
fonts exist by choosing different fonts in apps like
Office. They all look good.

If you install Debian Woody, text looks like shit, if
you are used to Windows quality.

If you're thinking of posting a reply which mentions
x-ttcidfont or fontconfig or anti-aliasing, or points
me to a "fonts howto", you're missing the point. A
user should not even have to know the word "font" to
get good-looking text on the screen. A Windows user
doesn't have to. The procedure to get Windows-quality
on-screen text should be exactly as follows:

Select Linux-friendly devices when buying new computer
Insert Woody CD in new computer
Switch on computer
Answer questions about hardware
Select default answers to all other questions

I'm not a newbie - I'm a developer in C++ and Perl
with many years of experience. But life is too short
to become knowledgeable about everything. A user
should not have to know about fonts, which seems to be
an unnecessarily complex subject in Linux anyway.

What does it take to fix this problem?