Re: 'apt-get dist-upgrade' not working.

Sorry Joostie, it did not work. Same result.

At the moment it looks as if I have a de-facto 'stable' system,
frozen at a moment in its ['unstable'] development path.

Adam.

In article <[🔎] 40274007.4040704@paradise.net.nz>, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> Hi, I'm running unstable and have not been able to do a successful
> 'apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-missing' for 2-3 weeks now.  That is a big
> backlog in unstable.
>
> The key message seems to be
>
>> E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
>
> 'apt-get update' gives me the message
>
>> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://mirror.pacific.net.au
>> unstable/main Packages

+(/var/lib/apt/lists/mirror.pacific.net.au_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages)>> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
>> E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
>> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
If te package file /var/lib/dpkg/status really is messed up,
not much is going to work. Do you still have a file in
/var/lib/dpkg/status-old ?
If so, make a copy of it in some safe place (and also of

any messed-up /var/lib/dpkg/status file), and then maybe try
cp /var/lib/dpkg/status-old /var/lib/dpkg/status and run again. I don't know what you can do if you really don't
have a status file any more.
--
joostje