Re: Phone dialer for Linux

On February 11, 2004 12:41, John Hasler wrote:
> David P James wrote:
> > I've searched and searched and I just can't seem to find a simple,
> > command-line phone dialer for use with pulse/rotarty (ie non-touch
> > tone) phone lines. I find it amazing that I can send out faxes via
> > my modem in linux but can't just dial a number. I've never used PPP
> > but obviously one has to dial out there too. So, I'm a bit
> > perplexed.
>
> So am I.  From pppconfig:
>

>                     x x                       Pulse or Tone
>                                x x

Right... but what I'm looking for is just a way to pass a phone number
as a command line parameter so that I can then pick up the telephone
handset and start chatting away with the person or answering machine on
the other end. My understanding of PPP is that it will then attempt to
make a connection with a remote machine, something I do not want to do.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations