Re: laptop HW detection Q (isa/video/cpu)

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:33:22PM +0000, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Micha Feigin]
> > I have a ati rage mobility M1 AGPx2 card (mach64). X recognizes it as
> > 8M ram and the specs say that its 8M but lspci and lshw detect it as
> > 16M.  Any idea which is getting it wrong and why?
>
> It wouldn't surprise me for a PCI (or AGP) chip to request a memory
> window of 16MB regardless of what is actually onboard.  So I'd believe
> X, not lspci.
>
> > The specs claim its 1.33 Mhz, lshw and dmi-decode claim it runs at
> > 1.3 Mhz but can run at 1.4 Mhz, /proc/cpuinfo says it runs at 1300.
> > Is it possible to run it at 1.4 Mhz and how (there is now option in
> > the bios to play with it as far as I can tell).
>
> You mean GHz.  /proc/cpuinfo should report its current speed

Yeah sorry, dumb mistake.

> accurately.  It might have multiple speed settings, in which case what
> you want is a kernel compiled with 'cpufreq' support - or possibly just
> with ACPI, including the CPU sub-module.  Then you'll need a userspace
> application to control this.  "apt-cache search cpufreq" turns up three
> packages in Debian unstable that claim to do this sort of thing - take
> your pick.

I am using cpufreq but I think its good for lowering cpu frequency, not
raising it.
The default frequency /proc/cpufreq shows is cpu MHz : 1300.088. I was
wondering if its just faulty dmi tables reporting 1.4 Ghz or that for
some reason sony decided to use the cpu at 1.3 Ghz, or that it was
designed to be able to overclock it to 1.4Ghz and the bios just doesn't
give that option.

> > It seems that my laptop has an isa bridge although it doesn't look
> > like anything is connected to it.
>
> I'm guessing that's for your 16-bit PCMCIA interface, along with your
> PS/2 ports (built-in keyboard and whatever-mouse-replacement), plus
> your serial, parallel and IrDA (infrared) ports, if present.

I don't use PCMCIA so I don't know about that but all the rest works
even with isa disabled.