RE: Disk duplicate

peteredhair wrote:

>I have a Debian box running which needs to have a fast recovery timing.
>
>I've got spare hardware to replace it however i also need to have an offline duplicate of it's contents in order to be abble to replace the disk and boot, puting the system to work again in a very short time.
>
>I thought about using PowerQuest Drive image, which the company has bought, however it doesn't copy ext2fs file systems.
>
>Can i do it using any linux tools ?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Pete

Thanks for all the replies, here's what i did.
I only wanted to have another disk ready for relacing the one on the server in case the disk broke down.

- I mounted the image disk on the second IDE controller as master.
Booted my system normally.

- logged in and with cfdisk and mke2fs partitioned and formated the image disk with the same partitions as the running one (the image disk is smaller but has enought disk space to acommodate the original disk system)

- mounted /dev/hdc (image hd) on /mnt

- did a cp -ax / /mnt

- after the copy, i mounted the image hd (/dev/hdc) as master on the primary contrller.

- booted with debian cd 1, installed lilo on the mbr

- booted the system from the hd (image), check that everything was ok (it was)

- stored the image disk (as backup replacement)

Thank you all for the great tips, a few were quite new to me and are very usefull.
Pete

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.