gzip segmentation fault on Woody

I have had a rescent problem where gzip nolonger works on my woody
server.  it seg faults.

I tried to

# apt-get install --reinstall gzip
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and
0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/61.9kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
E: Sub-process /bin/gzip received a segmentation fault.
Selecting previously deselected package gzip.
(Reading database ... 29901 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gzip 1.3.2-3woody1 (using
.../gzip_1.3.2-3woody1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gzip ...
Setting up gzip (1.3.2-3woody1) ...
install-info: read gzip -d </usr/share/info/gzip.info.gz |: 35584
dpkg: error processing gzip (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
 gzip

anybody got an idea how to fix this?

Wayne