Re: fetchmail with multiple accounts

On 10 Feb 2004, Nano Nano <40208.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have seven different email accounts at Comcast.net, all used for
> various purposes.  At the comcast level I have mail forwarded / don't
> leave a copy for six of the emails to the "primary" email.  Then I use
> fetchmail to deliver the mail to my local user spool.
>
> It's efficient and easy (only poll one pop account), get all mail in one
> fell swoop, but it's impossible to tell which of the seven emails spam
> with forged headers was orignally delivered to -- comcast doesn't add
> any headers when it does its internal forwarding.
>
> I'm thinking what I need to do is stop the internal forwarding at
> comcast and have fetchmail poll each pop account seperately.  Can I
> configure fetchmail or exim to add a header so I can still deliver all
> the mail to the same spool?  If not, should I create bogus user accounts
> with shell=/bin/false and just give RW permissions to my account on
> their spools?

man fetchmail

--tracepolls
       (Keyword: tracepolls) Tell fetchail to poll trace information in
       the form ‘polling %s account %s’ to the Received line it  gener‐
       ates,  where the %s parts are replaced by the user’s remote name
       and the poll label (the Received header also  normally  includes
       the  server’s truename).  This can be used to facilate mail fil‐
       tering based on the account it is being received from.

--
Philipp Weis          pweis@pweis.com
Freiburg, Germany     http://pweis.com/