Odd NVidia behaviour

OK - since my last post on the subject, and for reasons I won't go into, I've had to re-install Debian from scratch, though this has done me a favour in as much as all the superfluous junk I'd accumulated in ill conceived attempts to solve problems on my own has now gone, and I'm running a clean system.

I've now managed to install the NVidia drivers, and am now working on an NVidia driven X screen, but I get some odd behaviour at boot time.

If I leave XF86Config-4 alone, reboot and start kdm, I get stuck with a blank screen for a minute, then my monitor goes into standby mode (suggesting either no, or no suitable signal is being sent). I've tried leaving well alone for a while to see if anything happens, but it doesn't, and no amount of Alt-Fx or Ctrl-Alt-Fx will get me to a spare console. Ctrl-Alt-del still shuts the system down properly, though, and in fact I'm convinced kde is running (there's disk activity before everything stops).

However, from a cold boot, if I edit XF86Config-4 to use the vesa driver, start kde (which starts fine, then), edit XF86Config-4 to use the nvidia driver, quit X and restart - it works.

I don't manually install the nvidia kernel module, or change anything else at all in this process. One line in the XFconfig file, and that's it.

neither the kernel logfile or the Xfree log give any clues - everything seems peachy.

the card is a GForce MX440 with AGP, and the drivers are downloaded today from teh NVidia site, and installed using their own installer. I can't find a clue to this in the docs (all 60 odd pages of them, and yes - I've looked).

Any idea?

All the best

Steve