Re: X4.3 (Again)

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 07:02:15PM -0600, Hank Marquardt wrote:
> > you should _really_ ask yourself why you are going to X4.3: unless it
> > has better support (or in my case... the only support of my card), there
> > really isn't much benefit in the upgrade.
> >
> Well, I've had this darned Radeon 8500DV for over a year now without
> really being able to use it as intended.   I remember at the time saying
> "Oh, support is in the 4.3 tree and that will be released soon, it
> should filter into unstable a few weeks later at most" ... yeah, that
> worked out well.
>
> So after booting the latest Knoppix and seeing it, then seeing reports
> of the unofficial/experimental debs in wide use I figured I'd start
> looking/playing with it and see if I could get it to work.
>
> Of course finding and installing KDE3.2 will follow shortly thereafter.
>
> Honestly this whole experience (waiting a year and now still having what
> seems a kludgy solution) has left a sour taste that has resulted in
> gentoo and fedora living on a spare box.  I'm not ready to jump ship,
> but honestly this theology of "it has to work on all architectures" is
> annoying with stuff like this.
>
> Enough ranting and back to topic ... I didn't count them, but it seems
> I've only got 25 or so X related packages ... I started down the road I
> saw in another message of getting the debian/pool/X/xfree/*pre5v1_i386*
> packages and installing them all but that is a whole lot more, including
> a bunch of debug builds that are enormous.

You can skip all the debug packages and unless you need the development
ones also skip the dev packages. Getting all the rest is the easiest
solution since some packages were split up at some point.

You may also be able to get away with doing a
aptitude search ~V4.2.1 | grep ^i
and make sure to upgrade all X related packages letting aptitude handle
the resulting dependencies.