Re: video card compatibility

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:14:58AM -0500, Ashley Mervyn Graham wrote:
> >Radeon 9200 for $80.  I got mine (actually a 9000 for $89 last July)
> >from Thompson's Computer Warehouse[1]
> >(http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=2396&sid=44oBmP0@qJxQ0Dm).
> >
> >The 9200 is supported extremely well with XFree86 4.3 (currently in
> >experimental) and the open source DRI drivers.
>
> Does video playback work "out-of-the box"? Obviously I'd need some app
> to play them, but other than that, would it run right away?
>
> I have the ATI Radeon 8500DV (it's DV, because of TV Support), which
> asked me to get new drivers, DRI, or many others (can't remember them
> right now).

You should add the dri packages (there are debian versions of these, I
can find the link if you want). I think the radeon ones have the gatos
xv extension which is what you want in order to get good video support.
Its very simple to get dri going and I believe xv should work without
even getting dri to work.

You then get good video for example with mplayer using mplayer -vo xv.
I even get smooth video using a 8M mach64 (rage mobility M1).

I don't know how the proprietary (closed source) ATI drivers are.