Re: ALSA midi SBLive - sfxload?

On February 9, 2004 04:42 pm, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh said:
> > On Mon, 09 Feb 2004, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> >> Searching the web and Debian site uncovered that I may need to load
> >> "sound
> >> fonts" with sfxload, but it's not clear to me if this is still required
> >> or
> >> not. Also, the awesfx package no longer exists.
> >>
> >> What do I need to do next?
> >
> > You can either use timidity (software synthesis), or you need to find
> > something to upload the soundfonts to the wavetable synthesizer in your
> > Live
> > card.  And the soundfonts as well, of course.
>
> timidity is installed and works but I need true midi now.
>
> Any idea why awesfx was removed from the Debian packages?
>
> I found one on the web (awesfx_0.4.4-5_i386.deb). I found some SF2 files
> (CT4MGM.SF2 CT8MGM.SF2) from my Windows machine with an SB Extigy. Will
> they work? Somewhere I have the CDs from the SBLive card if I need them.
>
> Can I mess up the SBLive card running sfxload?

I use the awesfx package on my debian box without any problems (soundblaster
live card).  The sound fonts that come with the soundcard are called
2gmgsmt.sf2, 4gmgsmt.sf2 and 8mbgmsfx.sf2 which I'm sure you can find with a
quick google. Note that using the cards wave synth under alsa drops an
occasional note. See the alsa home page about this bug.

> timidity is installed and works but I need true midi now.

I don't understand the above statement. Timidity is/has true midi. To run
timidity as a alsa synth start up timidity like this:

timidity -Os -iA -B2,8 &

Its best to have timidity suid root so that it can use the real time
scheduler/clock or whatever it is called.  In your application i.e.
rosegarden or noteedit just select the timidity synth instead of the
soundcard synth. The timidity samples are much better that the 8mb sound
fonts that come by default with the soundblaster cards.

R.J.P.