Re: dual boot debian & Windoze, need advice

Paul E Condon wrote:

I want to dual boot an i686 machine with Debian Sarge and Windoze. My
situation is somewhat special, so the directions that I find when I
google the topic do not really apply IMHO.

The i686 computer already has Sarge installed on a 60G HD, and Windoze
XP installed on a 30G HD that is sitting inside the case. But the
Windoze HD is currently disconnected from both the ribbon cable and
the power cable.

I want to add an appropriate stanza to lilo.conf and connect cables to
get dual boot with a minimum of reinstalling. I would like to have the
60G HD be hda under Linux, and the 30G HD be C: under Windoze. I would
like to use lilo.

My understanding is that bios boot code on an i686 looks at the MBR of
the master drive on the first IDE channel to find the 2nd stage boot
program, and that lilo overwrites this record.

If I do the cabling so that Windoze HD is the slave drive, lilo should
not touch the MBR of the Windoze HD. Correct?

So what do I put in the Windoze stanza of lilo.conf to make boot program
load Windoze? And is there a reasonable hope that Windoze can be made to
think that the slave drive is C:? Or will it do this automatically?

Or, am I crazy to be contemplating this?

TIA

istr that windows ignores non-dos partition types
for drive allocation letters

i have a vague idea that the problem is the stanza
for windows
further than that i don't know

did you install windoze on the slave drive when it was in the machine as a master?

srp