RE: trouble installing Woody w/ raid card

On Friday, February 06, 2004 2:58 PM Isaac wrote:
>hello everyone,

hello

> I trying to install Debian 3 on a IBM Netfinity 5600 (8664-4RY)
> server. This server has a IBM serveraid card (i think it is a 4L but
> might be a 4P) with 4 scsi disks in raid5+spare configuration. This
> server is dual P3 machine (only one processor installed) with a S3
> video card, ide cd-rom, and currently has windows 2000 installed.

OK

> I normally install Debian with a bf2.4 boot cd, however when booting
> the cd the machine froze early in the install process. I booted the
> cd normally, and saw the normal kernel output, with nothing unusual.
> Then the screen went white and hung there before asking me any
> questions. I found that could switch between virtual terminals
> initially, however after approximately 5 seconds the machine froze
> completely. I checked the log messages but saw nothing wrong, the
> last log message was something like dbootstrap initializing.

I would try a couple of things here.  First, update the BIOS on the
server itself.  Next, upgrade the firmware for the IBM ServeRaid card.

> After that I downloaded the floppy images for the compact
> installation set. I was able to boot off of these without a freeze.
> My problem is that I do not have a driver for the Serveraid card so I
> cannot see my disk array. I thought I would use the "preload
> essential modules" option to load the driver for the raid, but I
> could not find a driver that was suitable.

This is strange.  I wonder why this didn't give you any of the problems
that the full Debian CD gave you?  Anyway.  Please update the BIOS and
the firmware for the card.  The driver that you want is here:
http://people.debian.org/~blade/install/preload/
You should download the file:
2_4_18-bf2_4_scsi_and_bcm5700_preload_flopy-1440_bin_gz.zip
This is a disk image that you can create using dd or something like
winimage (www.winimage.com) on windows.  This disk will be used in the
installation to specify additional drivers to load.  The actual driver
module you are wanting to load is the ips.o module.  I use this on
several IBM ServeRaid cards perfectly.

> I thought I would use the technique mentioned at this web page

The link you gave is bad.

> to compile my own driver for the raid card, but then I remembered
> that the compact installation set uses a 2.2.x kernel, and I am
> unsure if the 2.2.x series has an driver.

Not sure myself.  But like I said.  I have 4 Netfinity 5500's, 1
5000, 1 4500r, and 1 4000r.  All with ServeRaid cards and all working
just fine.  I installed each with Woody CD's using the bootdisk at
the link provided above.

> So, (after my lengthy ramblings,) I was wondering if anyone could
> shed some light on why my bootcd froze. Also I was wondering if my
> plan to compile the raid module is sound, or if it is wrong and or
> unnecessary? If it was a problem with my cdrom drive, I could use
> the bf2.4 set to install woody, but if I need to use a set that
> has a 2.2.x kernel are there even drivers for my raid card?

> Thanks in advance for any help.

Your welcome.