Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 11:04:57PM -0500, Jeff Elkins wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2004 7:18 pm, Marc Wilson wrote:
<snip>

> > Then they should use it.  I couldn't care less whether someone uses Debian,
> > Knoppix, SuSE, Mandrake, or even Windows.  Cluebies have been shooting
> > themselves in the foot since time immemorial, and it's not up to me to make
> > a choice for them as to what they should use.

shooting foot == learning;

> > But *don't* call it something it's not, and *don't* expect to get support
> > for it while you're calling it something it's not.

nobody should expect anything from a list ever
<snip>

> Cut out the "stupid/cluebie" nonsense.  You hurt Debian, Linux, and OSS in
> general with this elitist attitude.

At first blush I agreed with this statement.  Then I realized that the
reason debian-user works is because knowledge comes before courtesy.

There's no denying that live-cds rock.  When I got a new laptop, it
needed Linux on it fast and I wanted it to be Debian-based. I find X
windows to be a tough nut to crack and I take no particular joy in
getting it to work.

I choose Knoppix because it got all the hardware running on the first
try.  I didn't know about mepis at the time.
Things are working pretty well but there were some tense
moments after an update/upgrade that experience paid off in solving
the problems.  The Deutsch-orientation of Knoppix is mutable.

As a result of this thread I now know that unstable is not very secure
and that Knoppix is a branch project of Debian/unstable.
I also know that Sarge is getting a hardware configurator added.  I also
know that if I update/upgrade one day, I might get hosed because I brute
force merged a branched project of Debian/unstable with the main
Debian/unstable.

My plan:
1. Avoid upgrade/update Knoppix-based partition; read Debian security
announcements regulary to assess my level of risk periodically
2. If I need help with my laptop from debian-user I will state that I am using
a Knoppix-based installation
3. Partition the remaining 10G on my lapttop HDD for experiment with
Sarge's loader (I recall that they need people to use it to test it);
once I get it working then I'll wipe down the Knoppix-based partition

Live-cds are here to stay as are the install-to-HDD options.  Perhaps
Debian should endorse  live-cds if possible.   I think Debian will be
getting lots of new attention now that RH is dead and Debian-based
live-cds are catching on.  There could be an on-slaught of "stupid"
questions.
--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com