Re: X4.3 (Again)

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:17:50PM -0500, Josh Metzler wrote:
> > What I'm concerned with is that if I enumerate all those in a 'apt-get
> > --simulate install' statement I get concerned by the output of removing
> > xlibmesa3 and xlibmesa3-gl ... it looks like all of KDE is
> > linked/effected by that and while KDE isn't explicitly being removed I'm
> > worried that it'll be hosed if I do the upgrade.
>
> <snip>
>
> The renamed xlibmesa-gl and -glu Provides: libgl1 and libglu1, which is what
> the xlibmesa3-gl[u] provided, and all your packages should depend on.  So,
> just use those instead of the 3 version, and you should be fine.
>
> Josh

Yeah, I did it last night and ultimately ended up fine ... it wasn't
completely clean, but that wasn't X related.  After getting X to 4.3
the XFree86.log showed the kernel version was too old for the radeon
driver, so I upgraded my kernel to the stock 2.4.24 image.  That too
went Ok but then X (kdm actually) locked up the display and freaked out
the monitor ...

So thinking it was the radeon kernel stuff, I booted the old kernel,
removed radeon from modules and rebooted the new kernel ... went without
a hitch and moddep loaded radeon anyway ... glxgears went from 28fps to
216fps and I could actually watch DVDs full screen, yippee.

... now to hunt down KDE3.2 :)