Re: Debian, Knoppix, and other varients

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:10:33AM -0500, Krikket wrote:
> This recent thread on Knoppix took me by surprise.

Why?  No one has made any statement about the quality of Knoppix.  It's a
perfectly fine LiveCD.  I've not played with Morphix, but supposedly it's
an equally good one.

> Besides, I don't see why I should have to go through hell just to get a
> system running.

Neither do I.  Hence, I install Debian, which is a standard.  Except on
that damn pa-risc, anyway, where oBSD feels better. ^_^

Of course, my impression is that most people's idea of "system" translates
to "must-have-bleeding-edge-software-so-I-can-be-leet" (and mine doesn't),
so they have problems.

> I want something that's simple to use.

Ditto.

> Enough so, that I can have confidence in reccomending it to my friends.

That's where you and I differ.  I would never recommend Linux to my
friends.  Or to anyone else.  Discuss it, certainly.  But I try very hard
not to recommend software to people.  That just gets you into trouble when
THEY have trouble, and you end up supporting it.

Been there, done that.  Don't fix other people's computers, don't install
software for them, don't make implementation choices for them.  What anyone
else uses is their own problem.

> What would you suggest as an alternative?  I've heard calls for Morphix,
> but that's a derivitive of Knoppix.

I'd suggest them putting the Woody CD in the drive and running the
installer.  Woody's installer is pretty brain-dead... there's not a whole
lot there to mess up.  That's what's nice about it.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Killing is wrong.  -- Losira, "That Which Survives",
 msw@cox.net |     stardate unknown