Re: X4.3 (Again)

Hank Marquardt wrote:
> I've added experimental to list.sources, I've update and even upgraded
> today so the system is current, here's my current X inventory:

[ snip lots of 4.2.1-16 stuff ]

> What I'm concerned with is that if I enumerate all those in a 'apt-get
> --simulate install' statement I get concerned by the output of
> removing xlibmesa3 and xlibmesa3-gl ... it looks like all of KDE is
> linked/effected by that and while KDE isn't explicitly being removed
> I'm worried that it'll be hosed if I do the upgrade.

i just had this exact same problem... i got around it by using aptitude
and pretty much adding every X4.3 package i could find before hitting
`g'... a word of warning though: xlibmesa3 and xlibmesa3-gl have been
renamed to xlibmesa and xlibmesa-gl, so you will want to select them: so
you wont have any dependency problems with KDE (or SDL, or anything else
which requires them). i didn't have any "broken" packages when i finally
pressed on `g'. you might need to add the xlibmesa-dri stuff too.

you should _really_ ask yourself why you are going to X4.3: unless it
has better support (or in my case... the only support of my card), there
really isn't much benefit in the upgrade.

maybe off-topic... but does anyone know if the new cursor themes are off
by default for the X4.3 builds? i just came from LFS, and i had the new
cursor themes on my desktop just by adding the resource "Xcursor.theme:
whiteglass"... it was quite nice. but on debian, the resource makes no
difference. anything else i need to add?

hope that helps,

cheers,
Sam
--