Re: Better program than Putty?

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:27:31AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-02-08, Colin Watson penned:
> > You could use PuTTY itself. :) Simon has done a Unix port, which
> > started with splitting out the terminal handling into an X terminal
> > emulator program called pterm. The pterm, putty, and putty-tools
> > packages are in testing and unstable.
>
> I'm in love!  Thank you!

:-)

> Although, to be honest, pterm doesn't strike me as phenomenally
> different than other terminal apps.  I guess I'll just have to poke
> around and figure out the advantages myself =)

It's not hugely different, as there's only so much you can do with a
terminal emulator. It's generally faster to scroll text, which is the
thing that made me switch over from xterm; it's also sometimes quite
useful to be able to reconfigure it on the fly with Ctrl-right-click.

While the NetHack keypad mode is nifty, I must admit that I've never
actually used it in NetHack, since I've got used to the hjklyubn keys.
:-)