ssh -X from A through B to C

I'm confused by ssh -X. The box that has my CVS work is on a private network. If I'm on that private network, I can forward X from the box to my Mac 10.2 box. If I'm outside the network, I can ssh to another box on the private network with a public IP and then ssh again to the private box. I cannot, however, ssh -X from A (outside the private network) to B (on the private network with a public address) to C (on the private network without a public address). I suspect this has to do with .xauth-esque privilege settings. Where to I go to hunt this down?

Mark