Re: HOWTO - Speed up IDE HD's

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 02:58:03PM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> On Son, 2004-02-08 at 04:57, Marc Wilson wrote:
> >
> > Never mind that the kernel can do 90% of this on its own, and a wonderful
> > first step should *always* be finding out why it HASN'T.
>
> Nevertheless I still have to learn how I do find out WHY, exactly, the
> kernel hasn't enabled a special feature.

If the kernel should be doing something, and doesn't, the first place to
look is in the log file.  It will be there.

Next, make sure that what you want is enabled in the first place.  I've
lost track of the number of cluebies who whine about hdparm, and you have
to beat out of them that their kernel doesn't know what their IDE chipset
is.

They don't have enough clue to figure anything out, yet somehow they think
they have enough clue to filter the information they're giving to the
person they DO expect to figure it out, on the premise that no one would
need to know that anyway.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Everybody has something to conceal.  -- Humphrey
 msw@cox.net |     Bogart