Re: Old x486 as thin client

> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:04:56AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> I have always wanted to do this.  How do you have the 486s run an
> X server without an OS?  Or do they get a base Debian install?

	You need at least a minimum OS installed to provide an
infrastructure for X.
	A light X client is one way you could do it.  On the other hand, I
run a 486 as my main Linux workstation -- not that I plan to continue too
much longer.  There's plenty of software that delivers decent performance on
it; for instance, I'm replying to you with Mutt in an xterm.
	On the other hand, for a major pig like Mozilla, you need at least a
Pentium 2 to deliver adequate response.
	Don't be afraid to try a few things and see what suits your
workload.  You might end up deciding to set up different machines with
different configurations.  One thing about old gear is, it's cheap, and you
can afford to have some extra boxes around to experiment on.