Re: OT: list-etiquette and cross-posting

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 02:29:21PM +0000, Josh Robinson wrote:
> to me, at least, these seem mutually incompatible. indeed, can anyone
> explain why cross-posting is such a bad idea? it's all very well to
> describe it as 'clueless and rude', but i've not managed to find a FAQ
> that explains why it's a bad idea, other than 'it's against netiquette'.
> and if there could conceivably be a good reason for 'a across two lists'
> then would there not be a good reason for cross-posting?

They are not mutually exclusive, they should be used spare and wisely.
Atleast they are discouraged unless you know what youre doing.

An example where this might make sense is when you CC: various
Mailinglists with an important FYI-Mail;  you will then be able to bundle
the discussions on one Mailinglist, thus setting an Reply-To: to a
specific Mailinglist.  This heavily breaks when the Mailinglist(s)
do(es) Header-munching.

> ##
> Please don't cc me: i'm subscribed

Make use of Mail-Followup-To: then.