Re: Has anyone ever thought of getting the reply-to changed?

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 01:58:09AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Richard Hector wrote:
> >Sure you _could_ set the From: header to your work one, but that's
> >arguably wrong, and I entirely sympathise with ISPs who don't allow it.
>
>     How is i wrong?

Well, it's not where you're sending from, is it? If you're required to
use the correct From address, it adds a level of accountablity - you
can't hide behind forged headers (which is essentially what you're
advocating - yes I know lots of people do it, and I've done it myself).

If ISPs required the use of an email address which they know is
associated with the account the email's coming from, then all the
bounce messages would get back to the right place, and I'd be much
happier.

This could of course be an email address on a domain you've told them
you're using; it doesn't have to be one of theirs.

Richard