SSL SMTP Relay in DMZ

I don't know how to correctly title this letter, but hopefully people have an idea of what I'm trying to do. I'm posting this to the Debian list, as it has to do with computing in general more than just mail servers.

What I want to know is if the following is possible, and, if so, what possible options there are.

I would like to set up a mail server in a DMZ that would accept mail only from those clients who have authenticated using SSL. Given that they have successfully passed that criteria, then this DMZ mail server would pass the mail off to an internal mail server for further delivery.

Thanks for any input!

Curtis