strange behaviour with kernel 2.6 and USB mass storage

First off, I know this is not exactly debian related.

The problem is that, when I connect a USB storage device (the Olympus
XD-card reader MAUSB-100), a SCSI device is created. The first time,
it's /dev/scsi/host0/... as expected. I can mount it, copy data and
everything.

Now, when I unmount it, remove it from the USB, change the card and
reconnect, I get a new SCSI device at /dev/scsi/host1/..., and so on.
Reconnecting with the same media doesn't help, it's always creating a
new host.

The problem did not occur with 2.4 series kernels. I'm currently using
2.6.1. Is this a known problem or even a feature?

>From dmesg:

 --- 1st connect, 1st card ---
hub 1-0:1.0: new USB device on port 4, assigned address 2
  Vendor: OLYMPUS   Model: MAUSB-100         Rev: 1.00
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 2

 --- 2nd connect, 2nd card. note that it's getting address 3 ---
hub 1-0:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 4 disabled
hub 1-0:1.0: new USB device on port 4, assigned address 3
  Vendor: OLYMPUS   Model: MAUSB-100         Rev: 1.00
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 3

 --- 3rd connect, 1st card. address 4 ---
hub 1-0:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 4 disabled
hub 1-0:1.0: new USB device on port 4, assigned address 4
  Vendor: OLYMPUS   Model: MAUSB-100         Rev: 1.00
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 4
usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 4

--
Got Backup?