Re: Problem getting sound to work

Mark Healey wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:21:09 +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:
Mark Healey (<deblist@healeyonline.com>) wrote:

I have no sound.

When I boot knoppix it uses via82cxxx_audio and works.  I have that
module installed so I added the line to my "via82cxxx_audio" to my
/etc/modules.  Still no sound.

What do I check next?
Check if you are in the audio group, and if the channels are unmuted.

How do I do those?  It also doesn't work as root.  And, another bit of
information.  When I try system sounds there is nothing.  When I try
xmms it hangs (xmms, not the system).

In a terminal logged in as yourself, type "groups" to see what groups you're in.

What kernel are you using ("uname -a")?
What modules do you have loaded ("lsmod")?
What's the output of "lspci" in regard to your sound card?
Use a mixer program (kmix, amix, aumix, GnomeMixer, etc) to make sure your volume is not muted/too low. Configure xmms to use the proper output in preferences (OSS, esound, alsa, etc).

Please leave this.  It is a filter term.
ferulebezel
Kent