Re: I don't have a firewall, do I?

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:04:37AM +0000, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> > Here's a strange problem. Some of my clients can access my new
> > server.  Some cannot. The server is at: 66.98.212.88. The folks
> > hosting my server are saying that I have a firewall installed. But
> > I'm pretty sure I don't.  At least I sure as heck didn't mean to put
> > one in.
>
> I got through fine.  Even with ECN enabled on my box, which is one
> common reason for these kinds of problems.
>
> > My installed packages are at: www.xtrinsic.net/installed.txt
>
> You have 'ipchains' installed, but also a 2.4 kernel image.  Those two
> are incompatible (ipchains is the firewall configuration package for
> 2.2 kernels), so I suspect you're not actually using ipchains.

Should I remove ipchains?

Their tech support is saying:
	Because you are running Debian, we are not able to provide tech support
	for this issue. I recommend checking your rules you have setup for IPFW or
	if your using IPchains or IPtables. You may want to try looking through
	our forums. Our forums have a lot of information.

But I'm not sure what to do with that information (and seeing as I don't
know what to do with it, I'm pretty sure I haven't set something up
incorrectly). Of course I've been known to be wrong before. :)

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]