Re: Problem getting sound to work

On 2004-02-06, Mark Healey penned:
> I was trying to fix this months ago and then discovered nethack and
> kind of got distracted.  Anyway, now I'm back.
>
> I have no sound.
>
> When I boot knoppix it uses via82cxxx_audio and works.  I have that
> module installed so I added the line to my "via82cxxx_audio" to my
> /etc/modules.  Still no sound.
>
> What do I check next?

Does /dev/dsp have group audio, and if so, does your user belong to that
group?

> I have a question about this list.  How do I prevent my messages from
> being forwarded to usenet?  Spammers harvest there.

Well, this may not be directly helpful, but I've noticed something ... I
post to usenet with the address I'm using right now, and I never get
spam to that account.  I'm guessing that the harvesters remove the
'spam' term, which results in a bogus email address.

My other addresses, on the other hand, get tons of spam, as do many
non-existent accounts on bounceswoosh.org.

--
monique