mail storage services locked

I've recently been getting the following from running fetchmail:

fetchmail: mail storage services unavailable, wait a few minutes and try again.
fetchmail: lock busy!  Is another session active?
fetchmail: Lock-busy error on brownh@hartford-hwp.com@pop.registeredsite.com
fetchmail: lock busy on server error while fetching from pop.registeredsite.com
fetchmail: Query status=9 (LOCKBUSY)

I'd guess this means that some application has access to the mail
queue, but I don't believe I'm running any application that would do
that. I'll get several of these errors and then things will return to
normal.

Haines Brown