Re: dvips TeX printer driver

> Haines Brown wrote:

> > When I migrated to debian, I lost my ability to print LaTeX
> > files. No information is sent to the printer.
> >
> > The printer driver is dvips, and I assumed that it was included in
> > the LaTeX package, for that was the case with my LaTeX
> > installation under RedHat. Under Debian, is the driver a separate
> > package, and if so what is it called?
>
> what do you mean "driver", do you mean the command you type to print
> a file?  when you have created the dvi file from the latex source,
> you should just be able to type `dvips file.dvi` and it will be sent
> to the printer. is your printer working normally for everything
> else?
>
> the dvips command is part of the `tetex-bin' package; if you
> installed LaTeX using aptitude, i would be VERY surprised if
> tetex-bin was not also installed.

Thanks! I see that I have tetex-bin installed. While dvips is a
command, I also saw it called a "driver," and so used the
term. Wrongly, apparently.

My printing results are uneven. That is, from emacs, "postscript print
buffer" works, but "print buffer" creates an error (offending command:
2004-02-06; error info: null). When I send a file to lpr, I get the
step problem. Abiword prints OK. When I display a document in
ghostview, and try to print, a dialog pops up asking for the printer
name. When I try to supply it, ghostview hangs.

Haines Brown