Re: Has anyone ever thought of getting the reply-to changed?

On February 05, 2004 18:18, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Paul Tietjens wrote:
> > I hit the "Reply" button and sent this email with Thunderbird.
> > Apprently, it's smart enough to figure it out. :)
>
>      Then apparently you have one from the future (nope
> Thunderbird/0.4RC1) as I know 0.3, 0.4 and now at least 0.5a do not
> reply to list by default.  In fact it still was on the wishlist on
> Thunderbird's Bugzilla the last time I checked (and voted for it).
> If I hit reply it goes to you (just tried) so if you're hitting reply
> and getting the list I'd *really* be interested in knowing what
> setting I am missing or what plugin you have installed that I do not.

He was posting via a newsgroup, that's why (if you ask me, TB screws
that up too).

In newsgroup mode, TB (and MozMail) treat Reply to mean reply to group.
You can't easily reply to just the sender in a newsgroup via email with
TB (you have to reply-all and delete the group). This is especially
annoying in for-sale newsgroups. What both MozMail and TB need are 3
types of reply:

Reply to sender (as in TB Mail, but not present in TB News)
Reply List/Group (as the Reply button does in TB News right now)

Until Mozilla or TB gets a bona fide reply-list function we're going to
keep seeing reply-to munged lists since there is no client with it to
turn to with broad appeal in Windows.

Anyway, from a TB user perspective the best way to deal with replying to
the list is the following:

Do not press reply to reply to a message; instead right-click on the To:
field of the message (which of course is debian-user@lists.debian.org)
and select "Compose Mail To". This opens up a message composition
window. Now, make sure you've added the Quote button to the composition
window (View | Toolbars --> Customize and drag it to the toolbar).
Press the Quote button. The last message you were looking at (ie, the
one you want to reply to) is now quoted in the composition window. A
bit of a workaround, but it does work and you don't have to delete
anything.

That's what I did before I made the switch to kmail, which has all
manner of wonderful features including reply-list.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations