Re: will WordPerfect8 clobber Debian Sid system?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Johann Spies wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 09:16:25AM -0600, James Miller wrote:
> > I've been trying to use OpenOffice Writer for a project requiring a
> > multipage table.  Unfortunately, OOWriter cannot make (or display!)
> > multipage tables, and apparently *will not* until version 2.0.  This kind
> > of stinks, but now I'm looking at alternatives.
>
> Other people gave hints on WP8.  If you are not scared of Latex you
> can try it (or use Lyx).  With longtables in Latex/Lyx it is easy to
> work with multipage tables.

I've tried Latex/Lyx off and on over the last couple of years, so I'm not
totally new to it.  I also can't say that I got very far with Latex,
though Lyx is a bit of a different story, being more WYSIWYG'ish, like the
wordprocessing programs I'm used to.  The reason I've not looked more into
Lyx is maybe the same reason I'm finding out could prevent me from using
WP8 as well: lack of support for Truetype fonts.  I need to use some
ancient language fonts in the document(s) I'm trying to create, and
there's not much choice of which font I can use.  The available ones all
seem to be ttf's.  I understand there's a font converter for WP8, but I'm
skeptical whether, and how well, it would work for the fonts I need.  IIRC
Lyx has similar problems with ttf's.

Thanks, James