Re: Can't play *.wav files in XMMS.

Hello

Adam (<a24061@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> (This is on Debian testing, but I'm also having the same problem with
> RedHat 8 at work.)
>
> I have xmms 1.2.8-2, which shows the plugin "Wave Player 1.2.8
> [libwav.so]" as installed and enabled.  But it will not play or even
> open *.wav files.  Any suggestions?
>
> I also installed vorbis-tools 1.0.1-1, but it won't work:
>
> $ oggenc start.wav
> Skipping chunk of type "fact", length 4
> ERROR: Wav file is unsupported type (must be standard PCM
>  or type 3 floating point PCM
> ERROR: Input file "start.wav" is not a supported format
>
> even though man oggenc says "oggenc  reads  audio  data  in either
> raw, WAV, or AIFF format and encodes it into an Ogg Vorbis stream."
>
> What am I missing or doing wrong?

Something is wrong with the wav file, or it is some non-standard format.
I can't say what exactly is the problem from here. Where did you get
the files? If you have some other software (like some windows player)
that can play them, maybe using that player's disk writer plugin (if it
has one) can help.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--