Re: Kernel upgrade breaks PCMCIA

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

> I have a fully-working Debian install on my laptop 8-) but every time I
> (or rather, the beautiful apt-get) upgrades the kernel, pcmcia card
> services break.  Thus breaking the PC card network interface, thus
> breaking my connection to the Internet.  Thus generally pissing me off :-(
>
> I have booted back using my old kernel and it works again.  However, I
> can't install the new version of pcmcia as it depends on the kernel
> version.  A bit of a catch 22!
>
> I can't believe I'm alone in hitting this problem, but my Googling has
> so far been fruitless.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this
> (preferably so that it won't break when I next upgrade my kernel)?
> RTFM-style answers are welcome if accompanied by a relevant URL ;-)

Hi,

did you install the pcmcia-source package to get your pcmcia running with
the kernel (not all kernels have the pcmcia module included).
Then you have to recompile the pcmcia-module again.

 From /usr/share/doc/pcmcia-source/README:

[...]
You need to have a complete linux source tree for your kernel, not just an
up-to-date kernel image, to compile the PCMCIA package.  The PCMCIA modules
contain some references to kernel source files.
[...]

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit