Re: aptitude install alsa-base alsa-utils fails

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 04:34:25PM -0800, Rodney D. Myers said
> I'm using debian Sarge
>
> I've been attempting to install the alsa sound system, but it keeps
> failing.
>
> When doing a listing the installed packages I see;
>
> dpkg -l | grep alsa
> iF  alsa-base      1.0.1-1        ALSA sound driver common files
> rc  alsa-modules-2 0.9.6+1        Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (drivers)
> ii  alsa-utils     0.9.8-1        Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (utils)
> ii  gstreamer-alsa 0.6.2-2.libran ALSA plugin for GStreamer
>
> I can remove everything but the "modules". I cannot get a clear
> picture of correct file name.

$ COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l | grep alsa

or use dpkg --get-selections.

> If I remove the base & utils files, I'll attempt to install again. I'll
> select my chip set via82xx, and then it'll die with the following error
> messages;
>
> aptitude install alsa-base
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information... Done
> The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
>   alsa-utils
> **** misc files not upgraded, etc removed***
>   alsa-base alsa-utils
> 0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 856 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/142kB of archives. After unpacking 393kB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> Selecting previously deselected package alsa-utils.
> (Reading database ... 123861 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking alsa-utils (from .../alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package alsa-base.
> Unpacking alsa-base (from .../alsa-base_1.0.1-1_all.deb) ...
> Setting up alsa-utils (0.9.8-1) ...
> Setting up alsa-base (1.0.1-1) ...
> Wrote ALSA configuration to /etc/alsa/modutils/1.0
> dpkg: error processing alsa-base (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  alsa-base
> Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to recover:
> Setting up alsa-base (1.0.1-1) ...
> Wrote ALSA configuration to /etc/alsa/modutils/1.0
> dpkg: error processing alsa-base (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  alsa-base
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information... Done
>

> I'm at a loss to get this installed. Any ideas, tips, suggestions would
> be greatly appreciated

You seem to be using the sid version of alsa-base at least, what does
the BTS say?

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:         monarchist Aldergrove MILSATCOM INS Pine Gap mailbomb