Re: Booting from 2nd HD with raid1

Fiodar Bandarenka wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:20:53PM +0100, Fr?d?ric Dreier wrote:
Hi,

I can't make lilo booting from my 2nd HD on my RAID1 installation (simulating 1st hd failure).. normal booting and booting from 1st HD is ok.

lilo hangs after:
LILO 2.22 .................................

I tried different solutions from howto's and forums.. but I should make something wrong :-(

My pc runs debian stable with 2xSamsung SATA HD, md0[hde1,hdg1] '/boot', md1[hde6,hdg6] '/'.

My first question is : should I really make 2 lilo config? (actually i tried, without success)

Should I turn off lba support? in bios? in lilo?

Should I put geometry in lilo? does lba-aware-bios bypass this parameters? which geometry should I use? (fdisk give two different geom for both HD, and anotherone is shown in syslog...)

Is there a way to 'debug' my lilo config, or should I go further with try-and-error ?

Yeah.. lot of questions... sorry.

Thanks for all you hints and help.

I never worked with RAID and SATA, but can you swap disks on interface?

(just a small precision : i do software raid)

swapping both hd produce to the same result: I cannot boot from hdg. I also tried to write first hd mbr, swapping and then writing 2nd hd mbr.. it doesn't work :-(