Minicom problem

I don't really know if I am communicating with anyone or not, but here goes....

I am using Red Hat 8, start minicom, and immediately after the message "initializing modem" appears, the cursor hangs up, will not accept any keyboard input and never recieve the "OK" prompt to test the dialing function in the modem.  The modem is ESS (Creative) and was recognized and configured by KUDZU at boot up after installation.  It has been assigned to /dev/ttyS1, IRQ 3.  Can anyone help?  As you can tell by my question, I am a beginner and woulld really like to switch to LINUX from Windows, but must get online.  Somebody please help!

Bob Dunlap