dselect and custom compiled package

I have custom compiled and installed the midnight commander package to
include mcserve.  My version of the package is 4.5.55-1.2woody2. I
used the latest sources from security.debian.org.  Now, whenever I run
dselect, it wants to install the binary from security.debian.org which
would overwrite my custom installation.  I am looking for some advice
on how to keep this from happening.  I have read about pinning a
specific version but I am thinking that may not be the correct way to
go because my custom version and the official version have the same
name and version.  Perhaps I need to have a custom version number. Any
input would be appreciated.

Thanks to all
Bob