Tekram dc-390u2w and kernel 2.6.0

I just did a fresh install of Woody using the 2.4.18-bf4 image and then did
an upgrade to unstable. Everything works fine my scsi card (Tekram
dc-390u2w) was working fine using the sym53c8xx driver built into the
kernel. I had decieded to upgrade kernel to 2.6 and first tried
kernel-image-2.6.0-2-k7 (I have an Athlon processor) and the system would
hang on reboot at starting syslogd, so I tried to compile own kernel using
make-kpkg and kernel-source-2.6.0 and building sym53c8xx driver into kernel,
but I noticed it was not there and was replaced by sym53c8xx_2 which the
help says should work with my scsi card so I used it. Still no luck system
again hangs on reboot at starting syslogd. So I left it at this point to see
what would happen and the system finally finished booting BUT it did not
mount /var or /tmp which are partitions I have on an external scsi disk (the
rest of the system is installed on 2 internal ide drives. (other scsi
devices are and external zip drive and external tape drive) when I would try
mount /var iget and error about sense key abort command scsi parity error.
So I tried to hand compile a new kernel 2.6.2 thinking maybe something had
been fixed and still the same problem.
So my question is why will the sym53c8xx_2 driver not work when it says it
should work and if there are problems with this driver and some scsi cards
shouldn't they put the sym53c8xx driver back into the kernel for
compatibility? I don't believe this is a hardware issue or a cable or
termination issue since everything works fine with the 2.4.18-bf4 kernel.
Has anyone else had any problems or is there something I am missing?
Thanks for any help
Brad