Re: 2.6 Kernel, Strange System Lock (not kernel panic)

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:07:11AM -0500, Brett Carrington wrote:
> A few days after I upgraded to the 2.6 tree (using debian's precompiled
> packages) something very bad happened.
>
> I left my box idle for a while, came back, and nothing would work.
> Well, kind of:
>

> # any command
> Segmentation fault.
> # any other command
> Segementation fault.
>
> I had mutt and screen running too and they each crashed and I believe
> screen complained it couldn't write to the utmp file.
>
> I'm not very knowledgable about this kind of problem, but could
> it be memory or disk problems?

Does rebooting solve the problem, and does it return if you leave the
computer standing again, is it consistent in how long it takes and does
it matter if you are working (does it only happen when the computer is
idle or only when it is running)?
Did you upgrade anything other then the kernel?
Do you still have a 2.4 kernel installed and does it run ok?
I am assuming you are using unstable or testing if you upgraded to 2.6.